Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What a week!

This last week has been wonderful, challenging, and thought provoking . On March 10 Layla and I headed North again to see Grammie and Papa. One of my oldest and dearest friends was getting married so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to go "home". Our plane left at 0700 that meant up at 5am for both of us. Layla did very well being woken up and dragged from airport to airport. The first plane she played and talked and wore me out but the second one she slept. It was nice to have her cuddled up on me for an hour. When we arrived in buffalo our car seat was still in Chicago. Southwest gave us a loaner seat how ever it was older and I had no idea how to use it. I got to the rental car place and almost had a meltdown because I had no idea how to put it in. After trying and trying I got it in although I could tell not the correct way. This made driving a car I wasn't use to, in a city I was not use to very stressful! I planned to stop and try to work with it again, however Layla fell right to sleep. So I started driving to my parents. When she woke up about half way there I stopped and played around with it again. I still could not figure it out...so I turned her forward facing! That seemed to be the safest way...at least the car seat would stay in position if we were hit. And lets face it Layla hit the 20lb mark months ago so we are just waiting on her birthday. Although I still feel like this was the best decision it makes me sick thinking about the "what ifs". If we had been in accident I would never had forgiven myself...thankfully we weren't.
Once we arrived safely we had a great 5 days. We dressed Layla in her snow suit a couple of times and took her for a slay ride. I will admit we didn't go far because it was really cold for me! At first she didn't seem to care about it...just kinda sat there. But once we let her out of the sled she crawled around and that she seemed to like more. The second time she went out was a bit better but she is a southern girl at heart the snow suit is really just to much for her. I can't wait to take her home in the years to come and she can go slidding down all of the hills we used to as kids.
Uncle Corb also stopped by for the night...I think he wasn't quite sure what to do with her this time. She doesn't talk in words and can't walk yet so he seemed confused on how to interact with her. Although he did like to practise walking with her.
I went to Reem's wedding leaving Grammie and Papa(that was his name this trip...I guess we will have to see what Layla ends up calling him) to babysit. They were thrilled to have her all to them selves. Aunt Mandy was also down for the night and she used makeup and put on earrings. Jatovi still won't let them peirce her ears so they needed to improvise. Aunt Many took me when I was 6 months old so they are waiting to do Laylas.
On monday after noon we went to see Tara. After only being there about 2 minutes her 7 years old son Caleb said "Does she live with you" Me: yes Caleb: Then why is her skin brown? Me: well her Daddys skin is brown. Poor Tara seemed mortified but it didn't bother me. I grew up in rural, small town Fergus and it is not very diverse. What I am happy about is that Layla will grow up is a different type of town. However that will bring a different set of issues I am sure. The funniest part is Laylas skin doesn't seem "brown" to me at all.
After my 5 days at home it was time to say goodbye. I was looking forward to getting home and having Layla back in her routine...but I was not looking forward to saying goodbye to my mom. I have the relationship I have always wanted with her. We laugh together, eat together and are able to talk to each other. I left her with tears streaming down my face. I bought a box of timbits...and cried all the way to Guelph. I love my life here but there are times I really want to move home. But you see if I reflect on the whole trip I realize that Layla and I have it pretty good here. I think moving from small town Fergus has opened my life up to something warmer and better. I just wish my mom came with me!
And really what if I need pickles at 11pm....everything closes at 8!

No comments:

Post a Comment