Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pacifier Free! (Hopefully)

Monday night we went to the pool with Aunt Jamel and the kids. I ask Jamel to look at Layla's teeth because I thought she may be getting her molars. Jamel could not see anything, but said she is the right age. She then asked " she still uses a pacifier?" Oh no...she could tell. She said her palate had an arch and we needed to stop using one, and try to get away from sippy cups as well. I was heart broken, I don't want to do anything that may impact her life long term, however I was not ready for this battle. After she potty trained early and went to a big girl bed we had decided to leave this one alone for awhile. I had never planned to use a pacifier past like 6 months. I never wanted a toddler walking around with one. But the older she got I realized I just didn't care. It makes her happy, and she didn't use it all the time. It was for sleeping and the car and some times while playing upstairs. So I thought it was something I would deal with later in her life.
But I know found us at a point where we needed to do something. Jatovi has Bulls Games all week so I was not going to do anything about it while he was not here. I was not going to listen to the crying by myself, I am not that strong. I have heard of great ways to get rid of it that seemed better than cold turkey( which is what Jamel said to do)
* go to build a bear and put it in the bear(my favorite)
* tie then to balloons and send them to the moon
*trade them for another toy

So we decided to wait until the weekend, go to build a bear. We are going to the beach next week so maybe she would forget about it while there and like her new bear. In the mean time  Tuesday I cut the end off of it. Another tactic I had heard works, if they can't suck it isn't as rewarding. Although she kept telling me "her pacy was broken" she kept on using it. I guess she figured it was better than nothing. So hide all of them, give her the broken one until we were all home on Sunday, then to build a bear we would go.

Well not as planned as usual...."pacy went with her poop"
Last night at bedtime she said she had to poop. I took her even though I didn't believe her, and sure enough she went. As she lend over to flush...the broken pacy fell in! The look on her face was so priceless, and into the tears she went. My heart broke for her, as I stood there trying to decided what to do. Do I go get another one and cut it..even though I had told her they were gone? I was a little panicky. Jatovi wasn't home, and I couldn't deal with the crying. I picked her up and we sat and rocked. She stopped crying and said"pacy went with my poop" Well at this point I decided to be strong. Yes Layla it did and it will not be back. She went to bed with very little tears.

I was so proud of my big girl, but I was more proud of myself. I didn't think I had it in me to be strong, and I did. She was not asked for it today, but does talk about it every time she goes into the bath room. So I know I can't give in and give her one, no matter how hard she cries. I think this was been harder on me than her!

No comments:

Post a Comment